Sunday, 2 September 2018

Lesson 29: of banished 5th member of LM dreams

I have always wanted to be a member of a girl group. This didn't start with Elani or Kiu Music... Neither did it with Little Mix or B*Witched. No, it might have been the Spice Girls and Destiny's Child and my fascination with West life and Backstreet back in the day. I'd ask myself how one person could sound so different and have varying tones and notes and voices through out an entire song without panicking. 

My sisters explained much later that when a band sings, they have to have varying voices that somehow go together. That is when I realized I loved the difference bound together. It just felt right. Almost like unity in diversity. 

Fast forward to 2012 when I first joined Twitter and One Direction had begun to make their worldwide sensation thanks to the internet. Of course there were other bands, but 1D and The Wanted (TW) really just caught my ears. Zayn and Siva were my main attractions look-wise. Not that the rest of the boys didn't catch my fancy. It was their jawlines I was falling for, truth be told. 

1D and TW were rivals, which made everyone feel like they had to pick sides. I didn't. I mean... I can never really make up my mind to choose between chicken or beef burger or to buy both and have one for later. So I made sure to enjoy all the music to the best of my abilities. 

As I said, I adored Zayn and Siva, but I think Zayn was who I was leaning towards. The moment I found out he was dating and got engaged to Petrie, I was pretty upset. I asked myself why he didn't settle for a Muslim girl. I asked myself why he didn't settle for me. Not that he knew I existed, just... I wished I was an option. 

That was how I began listening to Little Mix. I wanted to find out everything about Perrie. How she met Zayn. How they fell for each other. How he first discovered he had feelings for her and vice versa. How they dated in secrecy... How he decided to marry Perrie... I wanted to know everything. 

Zerrie became a fixture in my life. At first I had mixed feelings because I wished that was me. Then, in due time, I started to like her. The unexpected split caught me at a bad time. I was really beginning to embrace the idea of Zerrie and imagining how beautiful their children would look. I didn't know whether to support Zayn or Perrie until I heard how it ended and then I was suddenly so mad at him. 

I won't lie. Once in a while, I run into his photos online and I gawk because let's all face it: Zayn is gorgeous. The best of both worlds. Petrie's voice is also as gorgeous and this just makes me wish that things were back to normal. Then again... I heard he is single, and Perrie is in a loving relationship... I don't think it'll be too bad for me to think of myself as Mr. Malik's blushing bride... Okay, i'm getting ahead of myself. I need to stop. This is the internet. I know that somehow this will come to bite me in the days ahead. 

My singing career has me doing covers from Little Mix. Sometimes I feel like Jade... Sometimes I feel like Jesy especially when I sing her part in 'Touch.'. I once thought i could sound like Perrie, but I figured out her vocal prowess is almost as good as Demi's. 

Either way, it took me a while to realize I couldn't be as good as her because my vocal limits were very different from hers. If I tried to, I'd end up with regular sore throats and i'm really not into that. Even then, I'll always look up to her and the rest of Little Mix. They make me proud to be a woman. Especially after they released 'Power' which I still dance to, almost a year after it's release (is it almost a year now? Someone help me please). 

Once in a while, people come out of the blue and tell me that they look up to me. That was never my intention, but it feels good when they say it to me. It makes me feel like i'm doing something right. 

My principle has always been to try and do everything I can in this life (that is legit and doesn't go against my health) and I do hope I live long enough to write about my pursuits (though running a blog is basically talking about your life even if you write fantasy stories instead of real life stories, simply because you're putting a bit of yourself out there for the world to see).

I'd like to call it a day because my battery is at 24% and i'm on the road back to Nyanza. I'll see you on my next update girls. 

Sincerely,
Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment